How Caregivers Can Help Apply For Disability Because of A-Fib

If you are a caregiver for a loved one who is unable to work because of A-Fib, he or she may qualify for disability benefits from the Social Security Administration (SSA). The SSA gives access to two disability programs that provide monthly benefits to disabled workers who meet specific medical criteria.

While sometimes A-Fib is controlled, there are situations where it may not be controlled, and it can cause serious difficulties for the claimant. If the individual is approved for disability benefits, he or she will receive backpay as well as ongoing monthly benefits.

How Your Loved One Can Medically Qualify For Social Security Disability Benefits

To determine if an individual meets the specific medical criteria to qualify for Social Security Disability benefits, Disability Determination Services will match the condition to a listing in the Blue Book, which is the medical guide used by the SSA. A-Fib can qualify using Section 4.05 of the Blue Book, which is the Cardiovascular section. Look under Recurrent Arrhythmias.

To qualify using this listing, the condition must meet the following criteria – the arrhythmia must be uncontrolled, and you experience fainting (syncope) and despite having undergone treatment, you still experience the symptoms associated with A-Fib.

To qualify using uncontrolled A-Fib as the disabling condition, clinical tests must show multiple fainting episodes or periods of altered consciousness within in a 12-month period despite having taken prescribed standard treatment. You must have medical documentation that shows the connection between you’re A-Fib and the fainting episodes.

You cannot qualify for disability with a temporary problem, such as an electrolyte imbalance. Hard medical evidence, including detailed treatment records are essential to a successful disability claim for A-Fib. Be sure to have detailed records that include all the clinical test results as well as prescription files and physician notes.

How Caregivers Can Help Apply For Disability Because of A-Fib

Becoming a Designated Payee

If you take care of a loved one who has uncontrolled A-Fib and is unable to work, you may serve as designated payee for their disability benefits. The SSA sends all payments electronically, so you would require access to their bank account. Disability benefits can be used to cover expenses such as rent, medical care, utilities, and groceries. You should maintain a file of the receipts. The SSA can make an inquiry to determine if the benefits were being properly used for the assistance of the disabled individual so be sure to keep all the records in order.

How To Get Your Loved One’s Disability Application Underway

To have a successful disability claim for someone who is unable to work because of uncontrolled A-Fib, you should make sure you have a detailed list of everywhere they received medical care. Detailed medical records are a necessity so the SSA can confirm the condition and the severity of it.

Assistance from a disability attorney or advocate can help increase the chance of your loved one or patient getting approved for disability benefits. Social Security disability lawyers will be well-versed in what is needed for a successful claim. To find one in your area, complete the Free Case Evaluation today!

Additional Resources